startup: Re: Venture Capital in Switzerland - An Historical Explanation

From: Christian Brulhart <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Hans-Jürg:

I’m afraid not to understand your motivation here. Do you just
disagree to expand this thread? I don’t think so, because you made
two good points.

First, freedom of speech has been often challenged. However it has
been guaranteed throughout the history of the U.S. Now I think as
Swiss, we have a different perception of what Cold War area meant for
the American public. It was more than a political issue. It was an
armed conflict where battlefields were located in third countries.
Communists were considered as traitors because – under these
particular circumstances - there was no distinction possible between
the doctrine and the enemy, The Soviets.

Second, freedom of trade is a very broad meaning. It is correct that
interventionism still applies in the U.S. It is supported by
lobbyists (regarding trade barriers) and health protection agencies
(about food regulations).

What I meant was the fundamental right for entrepreneurs to compete
on almost any market because ultimately lack of competition harms
customer best interest. Here is one example:

Swiss laws oblige customers to buy health or car insurance from
commercial companies that align their prices and continue to post
huge profits. I understand that quality of life is the main driver
for such policy. But eventually people pay twice; they disburse for
services and compensate with part of their cantonal taxes for helping
those who cannot afford such premiums. I bet that in the U.S., people
would challenge this situation in court under “government sponsored
racketeering practices.”

I totally agree with your analysis that entrepreneurial spirit still
lives in Europe and that capital venture initiatives occur. But I am
somewhat skeptical about the idea of Europe becoming a solely
market-driven environment.

Best regards,

- C.