swiss-list: Question on taxes and interest earned in Switzerland

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 02:14:36 GMT

Hello all,

My wife Karin, who is Swiss, moved to the US in March 2001 (I am Romanian and
have been in the US for longer than that). We both hold green cards.

The only income that Karin had in Switzerland last year was interest on her
bank accounts (both Privatconto and Sparconto - if that makes any difference).
We checked her accounts on-line and we saw that a 35% tax was witheld on the
interest accrued last year. My understanding is that if Karin were to file for
taxes in Switzerland, she would get back (at least) part of that 35%. But we
want to keep all this process as simple as possible (we plan to e-file) and
thus we are planning on filing (jointly) only in the US. I assume that in that
case we do not have to declare on our tax return the interest earned in
Switzerland as income, as it will be taxed there.

Correct?

Granted, we might get a better deal if that money were taxed in the US, but the
ammount is not worth the pain.

So I guess my question is if what I think of doing is all right. My assumption
is that nothing can be double taxed (but you never know!)

Thanks,
--Radu